Friday, May 09, 2008

Nothing to lose

Tuesday night I referenced a post from John Cole that compared HRC's continued campaign, scorched earth or otherwise, to that of a bank-robber holding it's employees and customers (the Democratic Party) as hostages, hoping against hope that, at a minimum, by threats and stalling she might at least make a getaway.

But I'm not sure that's quite right. The bank-robber still has something to lose.

I don't think that's the case with HRC. I know there has been some talk of her moving into the Senate majority leader role. And the Supreme Court would also be a possibility. But I gather neither she nor Bill care much for these lesser offerings. In any event, the longer she stays in the longer she risks burning her bridges to the goodwill necessary for achieving these posts, not to mention ruining any sort of "legacy" she or Bill might still hope to lay claim to.

No comments: