Thursday, February 08, 2007

Pretty Weak

John Edwards today

The tone and the sentiment of some of Amanda Marcotte's and Melissa McEwan's posts personally offended me. It's not how I talk to people, and it's not how I expect the people who work for me to talk to people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that kind of intolerant language will not be permitted from anyone on my campaign, whether it's intended as satire, humor, or anything else. But I also believe in giving everyone a fair shake. I've talked to Amanda and Melissa; they have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone's faith, and I take them at their word. We're beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can't let it be hijacked. It will take discipline, focus, and courage to build the America we believe in.

And therefore....?????

It sounds like Edwards is keeping them on but took them to the woodshed in agreeing to do so.

Democrats need to learn how Republicans "apologize": issue a non-apology-apology that attacks the messenger. Edwards needed to do an "up-yours" here, and whiffed.

While I'm glad that Amanda and Melissa were not thrown overboard for the sake of a balding, pompous, in-your-face loudmouth who I can only describe as thoroughly contemptible, this just won't cut it. The Bill Donahue's of the world are bullies who need to be cut down to size.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sen., you have nailed this issue perfectly. Your former colleague has much too much wimpiness in him disguising itself as being nice.

On the other hand, this is a reminder to bloggers that what you rant about one day will live with you forever. Better for bloggers to be more like Edwards and for Edwards to be more like the bloggers when getting bullied.

Bulworth said...

Fortunately, none of my opponents or their oppo-researchers have linked me to any of my postings, or to the list of characters I link to. Knock on wood.